The Ultimate Guide to Water Fountains
Everything you need to know before buying your next water feature in a simple and easy to read guide.
Who knew there could be so much information about water fountains? Us, of course! And, guess what? We also know that, unless you work in the industry, you probably don't know all the lingo used and water fountain options that you can choose from. That's why we decided it was time for someone to create a guide to help you out. So, whether you've decided to buy a water fountain or you're still in the "thinking it over" phase, this guide will help you out.
Part 1: What's a Recirculating Fountain?
A recirculating water fountain continuously recycles water until it eventually evaporates into the air.
- Location - Recirculating fountains can be placed indoors or outdoors. Be sure your new fountain is designed for the location you plan to place it.
- Pump - The fountain pump is the heart of your fountain and powers the water flow to the top of the fountain.
- Water Evaporation - The rate of water evaporation depends on the climate you are in. The hotter the climate, the higher the rate of evaporation.
- Water Refill - Most small fountains are refilled manually as needed. Larger commercial fountains will often have an auto refill system.
- Water Splash - Indoor fountains as designed to provide very little splash outside the fountain. Outdoor fountains will often splash much more but will also provide a louder sound.
Part 2: Benefits of Water Fountains
Water fountains offer many unexpected benefits. Below are just a few great reasons to own one.
Interior/Exterior DesignIncorporate natural elements into a space by using water features to blend modern design with spirituality and tranquility.
Negative IonsThe negative ions produced by water fountains help you maintain a strong immune system, and they positively impact your energy level.
Mitigate NoiseEliminate the unpleasant background noise coming from nearby traffic and other minor annoyances.
Stress ReductionRelax as you listen to the white noise produced by running water. The gentle, varying frequencies will calm your clients, patients, or family.
Feng ShuiFountains are regarded as one of the best ways to bring the energy of water indoors. Fountains have a positive effect on your overall mood.
Natural HumidifiersFountains can increase humidity. We are constantly losing humidity due to extreme temperatures.
Part 3: Common Types of Water Fountains
There are fountains for every location in your home or office.
- Branding - You can easily increase brand exposure by adding your company's logo to a fountain.
- Saving Space - Placing the fountain on the wall frees up valuable office/home space.
- Painting Alternative - Wall fountains are an elegant alternative to standard wall decor..
- Beauty & Appeal - Makes a striking statement in your home/office.
- Out of Reach - Wall fountains are harder for children and pets to access.
Learn MoreWall Fountain
Floor Fountains and Water Walls
- Simple Installation -Floor fountains are generally easy to install.
- Easily Moved -Floor fountains aren't mounted to a wall and can be moved easily.
- Fills Vertical Space -Water walls extend from the floor to the ceiling and help fill space.
- Visual Impact -A water wall captivates your customer and provides a calming effect.
- Company Logo - Add your logo to personalize your fountain and increases brand recognition.
- Pet Accessible - Pets love being able to drink out of the fountain!
Learn MoreFloor Fountain
Outdoor / Garden Fountains
- Large Focal Point - Outdoor/Garden Fountains create a "wow" factor that draws positive attention to your home or office.
- Easy Installation - Most garden fountains only require a level surface, which makes installation a breeze.
- Noise Mitigation - By purchasing a larger fountain, you'll be able to block unpleasant noise and replace it with the soothing sound of water.
- Doubles as Birdbath - Enjoy watching birds play in your outdoor fountain.
- Coin Collector - People giving you money is always a great thing.
Learn MoreOutdoor Fountain
Lake and Pond Fountains
- Improves Water Quality -Pond/lake fountains increase water circulation and improve the quality of the water, fish, and plants.
- Controls Bugs and Mosquitos -Lake fountains create agitated water, which prevents ripe conditions for mosquitoes to develop their eggs.
- Inhibits Algae Growth -Through circulation and better oxygenation, algae growth is limited.
- Aesthetic Appeal -Pond/lake fountains can create a stunning visual effect.
- Affordable - Enjoy the benefits of a water fountain even if you are on a tight budget.
- Great for Small Spaces - Tabletop fountains take up very little space and add an element of sophistication to your home or office.
- Quick and Easy Set up - Tabletop fountains can be set up in a matter of minutes.
- Great Gift - Tabletop fountains make great gifts for customers, family, and friends.
- Perfect for Pets - Fountains are safe for pets and we haven't met a pet yet that doesn't love to drink from the running water.
Part 4: Pumps, the Heart of Your Fountain
Pumps are typically the only moving part on a water fountain.
Most fountains come with the correctly sized pump needed. Understanding a little about fountain pumps will assist you in the future when you need to clean or replace your pump.
- GPH (Gallons per hour) - The flow rate of the fountain per hour.
- Head Height - Max height the pump can push water upward.
- Volts - Usually 120 volts in the United States and Canada.
- Watts - The measurement of electrical power.
- Chord Length - The length of the power cord.
- Outlet/Discharge Diameter - The diameter of the output connector on the pump. Usually, the larger the pump, the larger the diameter.
- Adjustable Flow - Means the pump has a way of regulating water output.
Part 5: Frequently Asked Questions
The most common questions customers have when purchasing.
Is It easy to Install a Water Fountain?
You should always review the specific set up instructions for your fountain before you begin the installation. Your installation time depends on the type of water fountain that you purchase. It can range anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Here are some basic tips:
- DIY Friendly - Anyone with basic handyman (or handywoman) skills can install a water fountain.
- Basic Tools - Most fountains can be installed with tools you already own (e.g. level, screw driver, etc.).
- Safety - If you are installing a heavy fountain, make sure you have others there to help you lift it.
- Read the Instructions - You probably hate reading instructions, but doing so will help.
Can I Add My Logo to a Water Fountain?
Yes, you can add your logo to many wall fountains, floor fountains, and large water walls. The specific logo application will vary based on the fountain and face material. Our comprehensive Logo Buyer's Guide has all the details.
Why Are Some Fountains More Expensive Than Others?
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. If two fountains look similar but one is more expensive, there is probably a good reason for this.
- Fountain Size - The more materials used, the higher the production costs.
- Materials - Fountains with materials such as copper, stainless steel, or slate cost more than specialty materials like resin, fiberglass, or cast stone.
- Country of Origin - You can usually expect to pay a small premium for items produced in the United States. In exchange for the higher price, you'll usually see a slight increase in quality.
- Features & Options - Lights, On/Off Switches, Auto-Fill systems, etc.
What Factors Affect the Sound Level of a Water Fountain?
You can easily adjust your water fountain's sound level. Lowering the sound level is a cinch, but drastically increasing the volume usually isn't possible.
- Distance of drop - The lower the water level, the louder the sound. For a quieter volume, keep your fountain filled with water.
- Water Volume - The higher the volume of water flowing into the fountain's reservoir, the louder the sound of water. If you prefer a quieter sound, lower the volume of water.
- Surface Area - The greater the area of water flowing across the fountain and into the fountain's reservoir, the louder the sound of water.
- Reservoir Material - If the fountain's reservoir is made of a lightweight, thin material (like copper or stainless steel), the sound is more likely to vibrate and produce a slightly louder resonance. A denser reservoir could produce a more muted sound.
Are Fountains Safe for Pets?
Yes, as long as you don't put harsh chemicals in the water. Fully review water treatment labels before you use them in your fountain.
Can I Run My Fountain 24 Hours a Day?
Yes, it's actually better to keep it running all the time so that the water doesn't become stagnant. If you will be gone for a long period of time, you might want to turn off the fountain and drain the water.
What Type of Power Do Fountains Use?
Most fountains, excluding some high-powered lake fountains, use a standard 120-volt wall outlet.
How Do I Keep My Fountain Water Clean?
Add water treatments to help prevent the growth of algae and the formation of white scale. Clean your fountain regularly following the manufacturer's recommendations. The detailed guides in Part 5 have more information about caring for your fountain.
Are There Any Areas I Shouldn't Place a Water Fountain?
- High Traffic Areas (e.g. tight hallway)
- Kid's Play Area (e.g. a playground)
- Against a Non-Supported Wall (e.g. a temporary wall without studs)
- Near Electrical Devices (e.g. computers, printers, etc.)
Part 6: Additional Detailed Fountain Guides!
Discover greater details of the different types of water features.
Now that you're brain is filled with basic knowledge about water fountains, it's time to explore which option is the best for you. You'll find detailed information on each type of fountain by clicking on the links below.
Have a few questions? Good, because we've got the answers! Feel free to contact us anytime and we'd be happy to help you out.